Friday, January 14, 2011

Pimping Women; AKA Human Trafficking






Traffickers want to exploit our children!




Pimping Women; AKA Human Trafficking

Written By: Jayi Kemp



Jayi Kemp
A couple weekends ago I was in the middle of delivering some food to the YWCA in downtown Toledo when out of nowhere I notice a young lady walking up the street who appeared to be lost. At first I thought nothing of this young women walking up Jefferson in the mist of what was turning out to be a giant snow storm hitting the streets, but after making eye contact with the young women several times, I could not help but feel the urge to inquire into her situation and to see if she was at least alright.

So after a little deliberation with myself, I got into my vehicle drove near her and asked her “are you alright?” She informed me that she had just got off the Greyhound bus a few hours ago with her friend and that they were stranded without any way of getting into contact with their friend that they came down here to stay with. So without considering my personal safety or contacting my job (since I was still on the clock) I told the girl to get in my car and that I would see to it that they got to their friends house safely.

So after picking up the other girl from the Greyhound bus station, I placed their belongings into my car, got some gas and proceed to assist them in finding their friends house. What had appeared to be a short little car drive to a friend’s house, turned into a life lesson about our society still!

Toledo, Ohio has become a city that is known to have a lot of human trafficking involved in it; we have made national headlines for some of the acts of these human traffickers who prey upon women, and children. These traffickers care nothing about the people they are exploiting, they lie to them, trick them, and converse them into becoming their puppets for profit through fear, intimidation, manipulation and so forth.

Human trafficking is wrong, but we all know that, but what we don’t know is this, the exploited faces.
How many times have you been in front of someone faces and been able to tell if they are being sexually abused by their fathers, pimped out by their mothers, or use as a device to fulfill a sick person’s fantasy by a trafficker?

It’s not easy, and as I learned on that night, you may be trying to do a good deed for someone but indirectly sending them to the lion’s den! It did not hit me that I could have been aiding a trafficker by offering these women a “safe” drive to their destination, but after talking about my spontaneous act of kindness and reading Jim Provance’s article on sex trafficking, I’ve come to this conclusion.

I will never be able to say if or if not these two women were part of the human trafficking ring for certain, but I feel solace in knowing that I seen to it that these women were out of harm’s way with me. However that gives me little comfort in knowing that I could have done more if only it would have occurred to me that these women might have been part of something much more then what they were saying.

It is always easier to assist those who we know who are in need, or may just want our help, but what do you do when that person is saying nothing? I picked up these two women for one reason and one reason alone, I was taught to. My grandmother taught me at a young age not to be scared of helping someone out in their time of need, and being that these two young ladies were black, petite, and attractive, but lost, I knew it was on me to do something or regret not interceding at all.

Life is crazy and some people are sick, so reading that Ohio is making strides in stopping or passing laws to reduce or cease the number of underground traffickers pimping others makes me smile. No human has the right to control another human beings life in our society, so hearing that the state of Ohio will start treating victims like victims and incarcerating John’s and Jane’s for their acts of injustices to others makes me proud to be from Ohio, I encourage everyone to click on the link below and continue to be inform as to what is exactly happening, today is a good day to be a Buckeye!








No comments:

Post a Comment