Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Is Being Black and Gay in Toledo Finally Acceptable?



Love is love regardless of sexual orientation



Is Being Black and Gay in Toledo Finally Acceptable?
Written By: Jayi Kemp

Toledo, Ohio my beloved home city has been living in the 1700th century for as long as I can recall, in a world that evolves constantly Toledoans, have not been last to evolve, but have been slow to come to grips with reality.

We are like the Amish living in a modern society; sure there are methods and ideas to advance their community into a more prosperous one, but the risk of change scares them so they opt to living in a way of life that they have already have found comfort in, or at least in my opinion.

And that is my sentiments for Toledoans view on Black men; Toledoans tend to think that Black men can only be strong, loud, obnoxious womanizers who live by the code of conduct, an eye for an eye. But why is this so? Is it not possible for Toledoans to think that Black men have evolved even if certain stereotypes in Toledo have not?

Toledo is a great city to live and raise a family in, but will it eventually be a city that has respect for all genders, sex – orientations, and same sex lovers?

I think with 2011 on the horizon that it would be nice to see a lot of desegregation, I would like to see a lot of things occur this New Year that might not had ever happen if it were not for other cities being so accepting of new cultures, maybe I am dreaming again, maybe I am onto something, I don’t know, I would just like to see Toledoans accept people for whom they are and not for who they want to see them as?

I know too many (some personal friends) who are ashamed in 2010 to be forthright of their sexual attraction to the same sex (both male and female) because people (toledoans) tend to judge them, disrespect them, or in worst case scenario cause violence to them, all because their sexual preference maybe different then their owns. In 2011 it would be nice to see Toledoans more acceptable of other peoples personal choice, without judging them for being themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment