Monday, January 2, 2012

ON - LOCATION W/JAYI KEMP: POLAR BEAR PLUNGE 2011





My First Plunge
While most Northwest Ohioans slept in last Sunday recovering from the biggest holiday party of the year (New Years Eve), I was up early preparing myself for my greatest adventure yet, Waterville’s very own Polar Bear Plunge.

Waiting for 2:30 to arrive
Unlike most other Polar Bear Plunges in our region, Waterville’s Polar Bear Plunge is very special to a lot of Northwest Ohioans, that’s because ever since the passing of Herb Mericle in 2008 the “now” city of Waterville has been doing the dive in Herb’s honor.
Herb (as I was informed he liked to be refer to as) was in so many words the inventor of the Polar Bear Plunge. Legend has it, that Herb started dipping in the frigid Maumee River in the 1930’s and stayed an active New Years dipper until his finally dip in 2002.
Moments after making it back to shore lol

Herb may had pass in 2008, but from what I viewed Sunday; his legacy is alive and strong. I seen people of all ages, shapes, and sizes, as well as 1 African - American (me) braving himself up for the Polar Bear Plunge (lol).

All an all it was a great experience and a great chance for me to hangout with some fellow Northwest Ohioans I never meet before.
Polar Bear Plunge AKA Woodstock of
Waterville
I strongly encourage all Northwest Ohioans to attempt this plunge one time in Herb’s honor, come early, dress warm, and park extremely close, because at 2:30 you’ll be diving in the water, but by 2:31, you’ll be running to your car. Until the next adventure people, this is Jonathan “Jayi” Kemp wishing you a good day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment