Friday, December 17, 2010

Balling ... Why?
Balling …
Written By: Jayi Kemp

I think Brian “Baby” Williams is a very successful entrepreneur, his brother and himself founded Cash Money Records and have made their music label a very successful venture, and with their new group of rappers taking the radio waves by storm, I think there tenure as being a powerhouse hip – hop label is far from over, but one thing I hope they grow more and more away from as they progress further in the future is this damn “Balling” stuff that has been synonymous with their music for as long as bling, bling.

Because in my opinion; flaunting about your wealth does little to no good for anyone but your own subconscious.  I’m happy for your success, but do I need to be constantly reminded of what you have and what I do not posses while I am working for this temp agency at an hourly rate of $9.75 an hour and going to Best Buy faithful to purchase your new CD’s and DVD’s?

I think not, and I think it would be a great atrocity for me or anyone else to continue to subject ourselves to countless memo’s in your albums that sublimely say “I’m better then you.” Not only do these lyrics glorify money, they also put unrealistic perceptions of what a man or women should be attracted too or ambitious for.

I don’t know about you but I am tired of seeing these kids listen blinding to these guys with no conscious as to what they say. Instead of my little cousins purchasing the realistic $50 sneakers at the shoe store, he wants to buy the $200 sneakers and be broke until next pay day, or try to hustle so that he can maintain his lifestyle and imitate his hero’s, you know Rick Ross, Big Meech, Larry Hova!

Instead of teaching children to be more conscious of the money they are spending they are advocating them living a “ballers fantasy”, but what is a baller fantasy? I don’t know, but I do know this; we live in a economy that can take an individual from the projects to stardom and back to the dugouts with little to no caution as how to prevent one from doing this.

I just read how NBA basketball legend Julius “Dr. J” Erving recently had his home foreclosed on, now I am sure that is not his only home, but it does make me ponder this; was Dr. J a victim of balling? My advice to whomever wants to hear it is this; cipher out the message in the lyrics, usually a rapper talking about their own personal wealth on record is just trying to fill in the gaps in his rap, don’t let his or her insecurities manifest on you, money and clothing do not make the person, sure there nice, but not as nice as having true self-worth, and that’s my food 4 thought!  


No comments:

Post a Comment